Like the majority of the rest of the planet, music is a part of my daily life. I love all different styles of music (literally), and music is something that can affect my mood in so many different ways. I am constantly looking for new music, finding old hidden gems that I’ve forgotten about, and playing my newest song obsession over and over again. So, I thought it would be fun to do a monthly music roundup
I’m not going to have a set number of songs I share with you guys each month; I’m just going to list whatever songs have been the most played and loved.
Here they are for January 2016!
- Jumpman – Drake & Future
- I am still loving this entire mixtape. Still.
- Say It – Tory Lanez
- I’ve just recently discovered Tory Lanez, and I wish I’d found him sooner. FYI: Ed Sheeran covered this song (as he tends to do with hip hop songs) and it is AMAZING. Look it up.
- Don’t You Worry – R. City
- These guys are so cool. In my opinion, they are a reggae/island vibe with some hip hop mixed in.
- Straight Up – Ty Dolla $ign, feat. Jagged Edge
- Ty Dolla $ign is one of my current favorites in general, but this is the track I keep coming back to.
- 1Hunnid – K CAMP, feat. Fetty Wap
- I heard this song once and added it to my playlist, and then I kind of forgot about it. So every time it came on shuffle, I just skipped it because the first few seconds irritated me for some reason. Then one day I got past the first few and into the actual song and remembered why I added it in the first place.
- In My Room – Yellow Claw, feat. DJ Mustard, Ty Dolla $ign, & Tyga)
- I really haven’t gotten into anything else by Yellow Claw, but like I already mentioned, I just love Ty Dolla $ign so this song stuck out to me.
- Make Love – Chris Brown
- I love Chris Brown. A LOT. This song reminds me of Boyz II Men or R. Kelly (pre- Trapped in the Closet, if you know what I’m sayin’) — old school R&B. His new album is all good, but this is one of those songs I find myself singing with a pretend microphone, which in my world is kind of like winning a Grammy, so…
- All the Ways – Wet
- This is one of those songs that I’m guilty of listening to on repeat for an obscene amount of time. It’s just that good.
- Sober – Selena Gomez
- Fun fact: I’ve always had love for Selena Gomez. I legitimately enjoyed watching Wizards of Waverly Place with the girl I nannied, and I’ve always thought she was talented musically and her songs were catchy. This new album though… Selena grew up. And I am loving it.
- Hands to Myself – Selena Gomez
- see above. Plus, I never knew I wanted to be described as “metaphorical gin & juice” until I heard this song.
- Promise – Kid Ink, feat. Fetty Wap
- I’m going to be honest with you guys, I like basically any song Fetty Wap is on. I tried to convince myself that I just liked him ironically, but no, I genuinely like pretty much everything he does.
- Lay It All On Me – Rudimental, feat. Ed Sheeran, Big Sean, & Vic Mensa
- I loved the song Feel the Love by Rudimental, but that was all I really listened to by them, so I was really excited when I discovered this song. Plus, I think Ed Sheeran is so talented, and I love when he dabbles in hip hop (whether it be covers as I mentioned earlier or features on songs like this). Speaking of, if you haven’t heard Old School Love, stop reading this and go listen right now. Just remember to come back when you’re done 😉
- New Level – A$AP Ferg, feat. Future
- This is my most recent discovery, and I can’t get enough of it.
- Throwback of the month: Let Me Love You – Mario
- This song came out when I was in high school, and I still find myself listening to it on a pretty regular basis… The fact that it came out over 10 years ago makes me feel like a dinosaur though.
Apparently I was feelin’ quite a few songs this month! New year, new music 😛
What are your current favorite songs or artists? Let me know in the comments!